12 March, 2008

Chicken Andouille

Chicken Andouille Sausage for Gumbo.

Another week another chicken. Bonne Femme said she wanted to make gumbo: What do we need to do? We could use some of the garlic sausage that's in the freezer. And stock do we have any stock? Oh yeah, I got some stock. So as BF walked out the door for another day at work, I was charged with thawing out some sausage and warming up some stock.

But wait. Do we really want just garlic sausage, or should it be some smokey spicy encased meat? Well I do have some chicken.

The Spices

The Crank man


Walking to the smoker.


Smoked Chicken Andouille Sausage.

660 g (1-1/2 lbs.) Chicken cubed
100g (4 oz)bacon diced
140 g (5 oz) onion diced
10 g Salt
4 g pepper
2 g allspice
1 g cayenne
1 g thyme
1 g mustard
2 cloves garlic minced

Grind whole spices and combine with all other ingredients. Allow to marinate in the fridge. Run the mixture through the grinder attachment, After grinding, stir the pate adding a little water so that it comes together. Stuff into casings. If you have time, hang to dry the links before smoking. Hot smoke at 200F for two hours.

Bonne Femme made the best gumbo ever.


Cheers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the blog, queezy about the slave labor (re: crank man)

Cajunbabe said...

I usually just have reg Pork Andouille but this one sounds great also.

to the other respondent, I reply that when I was that age I LOVED cranking mama's meat grinder and the ice cream freezer, too. I was never harmed by it & have fond memories.