05 March, 2007

Egg Rolls

Something is seriously wrong with my camera. Lately the iris has been closing down and is only revived by a thump to the bottom; nevertheless, the show must go on. If you have your meat grinder handy (or a good chopping knife, as demonstrated in Breakfast of Champions), and boneless skinless chicken thighs are on sale, AND you have some egg roll wrappers leftover from when the Bonne Femme, made lasagna, using them as noodles, then why not make some egg rolls?


I shredded some purple cabbage, some carrot, onion, garlic and ginger. I ground the chicken. I cooked the chicken first then added the vegetables to soften a bit.

To that I added some oyster sauce

I really like this particular brand (no MSG!), I have shipped from Crestview Market, in Columbus, OH (Ok, my grandma brings it when she visits).

I got the wrappers out while the mixture cooled. One at a time lay the wrapper in a diamond and put a spoon full of mixture across the middle. Then fold and roll.





Moistened with a little water to seal the deal. Let's cut to the fryer.


Doesn't that purple cabbage peeking through look fun? I rarely deep fry things because it's kind of a dead end for the oil: I saved it, but what am I going to use it for? Deep fry something again? Anyway I put about an inch of oil into a 2qt saute pan and warmed it to 350F. I fried two or three at a time 2 to 3 minutes.





Anyway something to do with leftovers on a Saturday night. The only thing I bought for this meal was the cabbage. I'll list the quantities that I can remember below, the recipe was on the back of the wrapper package, and I threw that away:

1 lb ground chicken (or whatever)

2 cups shredded cabbage (red if you're feeling cheeky)

2 shredded medium carrots

1/2 diced medium onion

1 TB minced garlic

2 TB grated fresh ginger

2 TB Oyster Sauce

Salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.

serve with whatever mustard you have in the fridge.


Cheers.

No comments: